Silverman “Linger Longer”
Celebrating traditional Caymanian architecture with a modern twist and emphasis on sustainability, the homeowners’ passion for fishing, cooking, and entertaining are exemplified throughout their home.
After a great day of fishing, the boat is tied up and the day’s catch is dressed at the cleaning station on the dock. Dinner is prepared in the stylish indoor kitchen, while fish grills outside. The doors in the central living space are open allowing friends and family to mingle inside and out while enjoying views of the canal over the unbroken line of an infinity-edge pool.
Practical sustainability is fundamental to the design of this home. The objective was to create a simple and cost-effective building envelope so resources could be invested in interior finishes, sustainability, and entertainment features. Infrastructure for future enhancements, including PV and atmospheric water harvesting, were planned and implemented. This home demonstrates that a stylish and sustainable custom home can be cost-effective and realize the Caymanian lifestyle.
The beautiful part about this project was there were no real challenges. We were able to use assemblies, systems, and strategies that we used on numerous houses in the Caymans.
• HERS Index of 42 (this home uses 58% less energy than a standard house)
• Over 19,000-gallon cistern provides all water for landscaping and flushing toilets and can provide an emergency water supply during a hurricane
• Materials are all low VOC which contributes to good indoor air quality
• The HVAC system uses MERV 13 filters (the highest rating typically used in residential construction)
• Overhangs on the south side provide shaded outdoor space and block summer sun, helping to reduce cooling needs
• A Trades Training kicked off construction to educate the Owner, Contractor, and Subcontractors about LEED and building science
• LED lighting throughout
• Future 7.8 kW PV array will allow the house to operate at electric net zero
• Unique design to use natural air movements to enhance cooling and reduce energy use
Our project success
What our clients are saying
“Green Insight is always available on-site and in real-time. Their ability to turn things around and keep a project on track distinguishes GI from competitors. They are also creative and willing to roll with the punches. In my world, things don’t always work out perfectly but the team at Green Insight is always open to finding creative solutions to figure out the most timely, cost-efficient way to resolve issues.”
Project Manager, Pavilion Construction
“Green Insight’s team is responsive, available, and provides a tremendous sense of security. We recently had a project where the goalposts changed quickly and often during the approval process. We were able to get our project approved, but I honestly don’t know how that would have gone if we didn’t have the backup and knowledge that Green Insight provided.”
Director of Development, Landmark Homes
“When it comes to green energy consultants, Green Insight takes the stress away like no other. They bring an unbeatable combination of value-engineering, industry knowledge, and out-of-the-box creativity for solutions that work. What I value most about working with Green Insight is the relationship – which is more like a partnership that has been one of the key drivers in our success. They take the stress away. And frankly, this has been the best relationship that I’ve had with somebody in this business.”
Owner, Trailhead Homes